You will create a mock press kit for an imaginary event tied to your blog. The event could be a film, book signing, concert, fundraiser, or something of your own invention that features a celebrity. Your cover letter should be targeted to a specific media outlet with a clear goal (you want them to publish an interview, article, review, etc.). You’re not pitching for an announcement, listing or sponsorship, but an actual article or feature. Use your writing skills to convince the reader and develop a vivid picture of what the event is about. Your press release should summarize all the important information needed for the media contact to make a decision. Your bio/background page should supplement your press release with additional information (such as biographies, organization profiles, or statistical and factual information) that support your main communication goal. An additional page with “other info” should include quotes, reviews or press clippings related to your promotion. Finally, be sure to visualize exactly where this event will be (i.e. city, town or campus) so that you can address the proper news outlet for that community.
Your final project must include:
- A cover letter targeted to an editor/media outlet and appropriate section with a clearly stated goal to get some kind of press coverage. It should be formatted as a proper business letter. (2-3 paragraphs)
- Press release (2-3 paragraphs)
- Bio/background information sheet highlighting relevant information for your targeted pitch letter (3-5 paragraphs, use footnotes to document your information sources)
- Other info (reviews, press clippings)
- A two-page paper (typed, doubled-spaced) explaining your strategy (including who you are targeting and why) and goals.
Note: Everything should be single-spaced except your evaluation paper.
This assignment will be graded on:
- Adherence to format of a cover letter and press release with a clearly targeted goal
- Ability to write effective headlines, ledes and summaries
- Ability to define a specific target audience and to write to that audience
- Formatted for clarity (readable fonts, proper paragraph spacing, etc.)
PowerPoint presentation: PR-JCU.pdf
Sample press release: Education_PressRelease2.pdf
Using newshooks for press releases: News-Hooks.pdf
Guardian: How to write an effective press release
WikiHow: How to Write a Press Release
A complete guide to writing an effective press release
How to Put Together a Press Kit
The Ingredients of a Press Kit